A Guide to Get a Driving License in Dubai in 2023
If you are thinking there might be a shortcut to getting a driving license in Dubai, then you are mistaken. There are certain rules that everyone needs to follow and they are the same for everyone.
You have to pass a few tests to obtain a valid driving license in Dubai. Your driving school registers you for the theory test. Once you pass all internal tests, specifically the yard parking exam, you can proceed to the RTA tests. You can attempt the RTA road test only if you are successful in the RTA theory test.
Anyone above the age of 18 years can apply for a driving license in the UAE and Dubai. People aged between 18 and 21 qualify for a probationary license. A driving license application should be submitted in Arabic to the RTA (Road and Traffic Authority).
You can also contact any of the authorized driving schools and they can also guide you through the entire process. Based on your application, the RTA will issue a temporary license. Make sure to carry your temporary license at all times during training at the driving school.
Documents needed for driving license in Dubai
Emiratis only require a valid Emirates ID to get a driving license in Dubai. But if you are an expat, you require extra documents. This is the list of documents that you would need to apply for driving license in Dubai if you are a foreigner –
- Passport with visa page
- Emirates ID (copy and original)
- Eye test results
- Passport sized photos (minimum of 2)
- No objection letter from your sponsor
How to get a driving license in Dubai?
Follow these simple steps to apply for a driving license in Dubai –
- Get your eye test done. This can be carried out at your driving school or an optician
- Register at an RTA approved driving school in Dubai and submit all relevant documents
- Obtain your temporary Dubai driving license or learner’s permit and begin training
- Complete all theory classes which can either be taken online or in the driving schools
- Pass the theory test to move on to the practical training
- Complete the practical classes and go for your internal assessment
- Upon completion of the internal assessment, you need to complete highway and city road classes
- Pass the internal parking test so that the school applies for the RTA test
- Pass the test and then the final RTA road test
- Obtain license
In case you fail in your first attempt, you would have to complete an additional seven classes of training before appearing for the road test again.
Details about driving test – theory and practical
There are two parts of driving tests in Dubai – theory test and road test.
- Theory test
Your theory test will be conducted at one of the authorized driving schools (usually the one you’re registered at). On the day of the test, you should have your –
- Valid Emirates ID
- Driving File
- Two passport-sized photographs
- Theory test fee
The test has a total of 35 questions about road/driving hazards, signal and signs, and safe-driving guidelines.
There are three sections –
- The first segment contains 17 questions about various traffic situations. You need to answer at least 11 questions correctly to pass this segment.
- The second segment has a total of 18 questions that focus on driving license specifics. You need to answer at least 12 of these correctly to pass the test.
- The third segment is – Risks Recognition Test. It comprises a series of videos depicting different environmental conditions. The question in this segment will be to discuss your plan to handle these situations.
This test is carried out on a touch-screen computer in English or Arabic. Candidates who aren’t familiar with these languages can opt for an oral exam.
- Parking Test
A fully automated test with detailed parking instructions can be taken at the smart yard of your driving institute. There are five steps in the parking test. These include:
- Slope/ hill parking
- Emergency brakes
- Angle Parking (60 degrees)
- Garage Parking (90 degrees)
- Parallel Parking
If you fail the parking test five consecutive times, you will have to appear for the internal assessment again.
- Road test and assessment
This is the challenging part of obtaining a driving license, because the examiner will judge whether or not you are worthy of getting a driving license. And you are given a time span of just 10 – 12 minutes for this. The practical test will involve you driving, so be prepared. On the date assigned, reach the RTA driving license center with your –
- Emirates ID
- Driving file
- Road test fee
- Passport size photographs (2)
The examiner will allocate a car to you and when your turn comes, you have to demonstrate your driving skills.
You will get the results immediately. These are the steps to follow to obtain a driving license if you pass the driving test –
- The examiner will provide you an approval paper
- Take that and submit it at the Pass Counter with ID Documentation and the Dubai driving license fee.
- Collect your driving file and submit it to the Control Counter.
- Pay the license fee and proceed to the photo area.
- Once the photo is taken, wait for a few minutes and you’ll get your driving license.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How much does it cost to get driving license in Dubai?
The cost of getting a driving license in Dubai can vary between AED 4500 and AED 7000, if you pass the driving test on the first attempt. The cost also depends upon the driving school you choose. Make sure you choose an authorized driving school, as they would be able to guide you through the entire process seamlessly.
- Is an Indian driving license valid in Dubai?
No, your Indian driving license is not valid for you to drive in the UAE. However, if you have an international driving license, then you can drive with the same license in the UAE as well.
- Can tourists get driving license in Dubai?
Whether you are from the UAE or a tourist visiting Dubai, an IDL (international driving license) is the answer if you want to drive in a foreign nation. It is a legal requirement and you can know more about it online or from one of the RTA offices in Dubai.
Kritika Manchanda is a content writer with BuyAnyInsurance. She has more than a decade of experience of churning out SEO friendly content. When she is not writing, she is either reading, or making travel plans.
How to Check Driving License Online
How to Transfer Your Driving License
How to Renew Driving License in Dubai
Originally published Feb 06, 2023 19:03:25 PM, updated Feb 22, 2023