| 2 minutes read

Benefits of writing down your goals

Written by Wasim

Have you ever felt super excited to achieve a specific goal and then, for some reason, you just did not do anything about it? We have all been there at least once in our life. One of the top reasons people fail to commit to their goals is that they do not write them down on a paper.

A Harvard Business Study that was made on goal setting, found that the 3% of graduates from the MBA who wrote their goals down, ended up earning ten times more than the other 97% that didn’t bother, just 10 years after graduation. Here are some reasons why writing down your goals will help you a lot with actually achieving them:

1. Gives you a sense of clarity

Most of the time our goals are so vague – something like “I want to save money” or “I want to lose weight” won’t take you anywhere. Lack of clarity is the number one factor that is responsible for underachievement. That’s because vague goals are confusing, they give us no direction and hence drive no action. Writing your goals down, makes you think about them and therefore you will become clearer about them. The clearer you are about what you want, the more likely you are to achieve it!

2. Helps you to stay focused

If you have so much on your plate, you will become distracted. Therefore, prioritizing is so important because it helps you to stay focused. The best way to filter your goals and prioritize them is to see them in front of you. Grab a pen and a paper, write down all the goals you want to achieve, put score to each one of them and focus on the most important!

3. Keeps you motivated

If you don’t know what you’re working towards daily, then you won’t be motivated to take action. As mentioned earlier, writing your goals down gives you a clear vision of what you are working toward. Make sure you’re allowing your goals to motivate you by re-reading them every day.

4. Invokes commitment

Writing your goal down is the first step to transform your dreams into reality. It is like you are signing a contract with yourself- this is known as self accountability. Self-accountability happens the moment you commit on paper your intent to reach your goal. When you put pen to paper, its sinks into your subconscious mind, and anytime you aren’t doing things your subconscious mind knows it should be doing, you’ll start to feel the pressure of what your mind is subtly suggesting you do.. That’s when you take action!

Originally published Mar 19, 2019 11:23:21 AM, updated May 18, 2021

Don't forget to share this post!