All About Maternity insurance in the UAE
There are so many expenses during pregnancy that you might not have thought of. That’s why it is recommended you take maternity insurance to get complete coverage and safety as well. In this blog we discuss all about maternity insurance UAE – what is it, what are the benefits, cost of maternity insurance in the UAE, and best insurance with maternity coverage.
What is maternity insurance?
Maternity insurance covers all the costs related to pregnancy – regular check-ups, tests and doctor visits, ultrasound, delivery expenses, and hospitalization. The aim is to provide financial support during those nine months so that you don’t have to worry about spending directly from your pocket.
As per Dubai Health Authority laws of 2013 each and every employee of Dubai is entitled to receive maternity coverage with health insurance plans. Employed women in Dubai are also entitled to avail 45 days of fully paid maternity leave.
Benefits of maternity insurance
Some of the main benefits of getting the best insurance with maternity coverage are –
- Financial support
Pregnancy can prove to be really expensive considering the various treatment and check-up costs you need to bear. With the best maternity insurance UAE all the costs are covered and you get the perfect financial support.
- Waiting period waiver
The general waiting period for maternity insurance plans in Dubai is 6 to 12 months. However, due to rising competition among the insurance companies, some of them have removed the waiting period.
- Newborn care
Maternity insurance covers care for you during those nine months and even after delivery. So you can take care of your new born baby under some of the best insurance with maternity coverage.
- Private hospitalization and treatment
A lot of parents prefer private rooms and treatment. But these cost a lot more as compared to general treatment. When you have the best insurance with maternity coverage, all these costs will be included and you can get the best of treatment and private hospitalization for delivery.
Best maternity insurance in the UAE
There are lots of health insurance providers that provide maternity coverage, but it is recommended that you do your research, read reviews online, and compare different plans before buying one. Many plans related to medical insurance that cover pregnancy and delivery also include coverage for prenatal, postnatal, and neonatal care. If you wish to get the maximum benefit, then you must check whether your pregnancy insurance policy offers coverage for the mentioned aspects or not.
Best insurance with maternity coverage –
- Takaful Emarat Health Insurance Plans
– Takaful Insurance Silver Health Insurance Plan
- Coverage up to AED 7,000 with 10% co-insurance
- Cover in-patient as well as out-patient maternity services with a 10% co-pay
- Comes with a waiting period of 40 days (in case of pregnancy during this period, the inception of the policy lies with the company)
- C-Section cover – Up to AED 10,000 with 10% co-insuranc
– Takaful Insurance Platinum Health Insurance Plan
- Coverage up to AED 20,000 with 10% co-insurance
- Maternity benefits come with a 10% co-pay which is to be borne by the insured
- Medicines are covered up to AED 10,000
- Includes health check-ups and ante-natal ultrasounds
- Comes with a 30-day new born Cover
- Offers global coverage
- Adamjee Health Insurance
Adamjee Family Care – Silk Road
- cover in-patient as well as out-patient maternity services with 10% as the co-insurance clause that is to be paid by the insured
- Free health check-ups are available
- There is a 40-day waiting period (in case of pregnancy during this period, the inception of the policy lies with the company)
- In case of a normal delivery, the coverage is up to a sub-limit of AED 10,000
- Expenses due to complications/ medically required C-Section are covered to a sub-limit of AED 10,000
- Maternity-related emergencies are covered up to AED 150,000
- Daman Health Insurance
- Care Bronze DNE without Dental
- 10% coinsurance is payable by the policyholder as co-payment for both in-patient and out-patient maternity services
- Out-patient maternity services require pre-approval from the insurance company
- For out-patient maternity services in Abu Dhabi, 10% coinsurance is payable by the insured in Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi and AED 50 for other providers
- For out-patient maternity services outside Abu Dhabi, 20% coinsurance is applicable limited to a maximum of AED 50
- Coverage of a maximum of AED 150,000 is offered for both in-patient and out-patient services, and complications too
- Offers a newborn cover up to 30 days from birth
- Care Bronze DNE with Dental
- No waiting period is applicable if pre-requisition of uninterrupted coverage is satisfied
- Co-payment of 10% coinsurance is payable by the insured for both in-patient and out-patient services
- Requires pre-approval from the insurance company for out-patient services
- The policy offers a maximum cover of up to AED 150,000 for both in-patient and out-patient services including complications
- Offers newborn cover for up to 30 days from birth
- Abu Dhabi National Insurance Company (ADNIC)
- Shifa silver – Opt 1
- 10% co-payment limited to AED 30 on every maternity consultation
- Covers out-patient services like physiotherapy treatment, pharmacy limit, lab and scan / x-ray, and minor surgery
- Offers coverage up to AED 750 per day for In-patient services overseas and inside UAE but not outside network
- Coverage is available for both elective and emergency treatments under in-patient services
- 20% co-payment limited to AED 30 on every consultation excluding maternity consultation.
- Shifa Bronze – Opt 1
- Covers out-patient services like physiotherapy treatment, pharmacy limit, consultations, and lab scans / x-rays
- Offers coverage for semi-private rooms under in-patient services
- Coverage up to AED 400 per day is available outside network, inside UAE for emergency cases
- Covers pre-existing and chronic conditions
- Deductible per consultation is applicable as 10% up to AED 30 for maternity services and 20% up to AED 30 for other services
Maternity insurance inclusions
A lot of people ask – what all is covered in maternity insurance in the UAE? The best insurance with maternity coverage will cover the following –
- Prenatal care
The maximum copayment rate for maternity covers, as per the DHA law of 2013, can be 10%. The insurance companies are required to cover a minimum of 8 prenatal appointments and three prenatal scans at the gynecologist. It also covers basic blood tests and regular health check-ups.
- Postnatal care
Post-natal care means caring for the new-born baby and the new-mom. It covers delivery related expenses. Postnatal care is most useful for women who go through some kind of complication in their pregnancy and delivery.
- Hospitalization expenses
Getting hospitalized for delivery can incur a lot of cost. So, it is best to have a maternity insurance plan that covers hospitalization charges.
Most maternity insurance plans cover normal deliveries, C-sections, terminations and complications during delivery. All expenses related to a covered form of childbirth are included in the plan coverage.
Maternity insurance exclusions
The following are not covered in any maternity insurance in the UAE –
- Multiple births
- Pregnancy before insurance
- Age limit
- Voluntary abortion
- Voluntary C-section delivery
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Is maternity insurance mandatory in the UAE?
In Dubai, under the Dubai Health Insurance Law of 2013 it is mandatory to have a health insurance policy that includes maternity coverage. The law also mandates employers to provide such coverage to their employees.
- Can I get maternity insurance while pregnant in the UAE?
If you are married, and if you are planning to have a baby, then you are eligible to get insurance for pregnancy in UAE. A comprehensive maternity insurance policy will cover the costs of your pregnancy from end-to-end.
- How much is maternity allowance in the UAE?
Maternity leave in the new UAE Labour Law. While earlier the maternity leave stipulated was for 45 days, the new Labour Law has extended the maternity leave to 60 days. However, while the first 45 days’ leave is on full pay, the employee is entitled to half pay for the next 15 days.
Top 10 Health Insurance Companies in UAE
Health Insurance In UAE for 2022
Complete Guide to Medical/Health Insurance Renewal in UAE
Checklist for Medical Reimbursement
Medical insurance UAE cost and how it is beneficial
New on BuyAnyinsurance
How to check your Driving License online in UAE?
Dubai Metro Comprehensive Guide
A Quick Guide to Check Salik Balance in Dubai
Complete Guide to Abu Dhabi Police Traffic Fines 2023
Originally published Mar 10, 2023 09:28:19 AM, updated Mar 10, 2023